Title: Port Royale 4
Platforms: Windows PC, PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch™
Developer: Gaming Minds Studios
Genre: Trading simulation
Release: 09/25/2020, Nintendo Switch™ (TBC)
Publisher Kalypso Media and in-house developer Gaming Minds Studios today released the Port Royale 4 'Explorer video', showcasing the vast and beautiful world of the upcoming 17th century trading sim and its accompanying orchestral soundtrack.
Measuring 12 million squared kilometres, the game's playable area spans from the Florida Keys in the USA to the northern tip of South America, giving players the opportunity to explore the world and commandeer those settlements they encounter along the way.
With real life travel off the cards for the foreseeable future, Port Royale 4's 'Explorer video' is the perfect substitute. Clocking in at over 30 minutes, the video follows the journey of a vessel as it travels from one side of the map to the other. The tone of the video is meditative, encouraging viewers to sit back, relax and lose themselves to the game's pristine Caribbean scenery and original orchestral score.
Watch the Exploration video on YouTube:
Arriving with the 'Explorer video' is a beta development roadmap and a new batch of screenshots, further detailing the game's stunning environment and the features and improvements still to come in the lead up to launch on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One September 25th, 2020.
The Port Royale 4 beta is available now to those pre-purchasing via the Kalypso Store.
Wednesday Kalypso Livestream
Those eager to drink-in even more stunning Caribbean scenery can tune in to an exclusive Port Royale 4 livestream this evening at 6pm BST on the official Kalypso Media Twitch channel, hosted by Producer Moritz Klein.
In Port Royale 4, set sail and join the colonial powers of Spain, England, France and the Netherlands in their fight for supremacy of the Caribbean in the 17th century. Take control of a colony as a young and ambitious governor and learn what it takes to manage and grow a small settlement into a bustling trader city.
Develop production chains connecting multiple islands and create complex trade routes across the Caribbean, covering the ever-growing needs of multiple cities. Make use of the detailed sea map to avoid stormy weather regions, cliffs or shallow waters. Fulfil tasks for your nation’s viceroy, earning more fame to unlock town buildings, ships and more. Conquer the cities of rival nations or hunt down their fleets with a letter of marque while also keeping a keen eye out for pirates and other privateers.
Introducing: naval battles! For the first time in series' history, combat encounters are turn-based, with up to 8 ships battling at once. Turn the tide with tactical captain manoeuvres to ensure a glorious victory each and every fight. Features:
- Choose from four colonial powerhouses: England, France, Spain and the Netherlands, each providing different benefits and unique gameplay styles
- Four single player campaigns following each nation on a path to glory
- Appoint a leader from four different character classes: The Explorer, Merchant, Buccaneer and Pirate
- Establish and manage trade with 60 Caribbean cities in a huge game world
- Navigate cliffs, shallow waters and stormy weather regions to optimize your trade routes
- Choose from 50 buildings to produce goods such as rum and luxuries
- Construct town buildings with neighbourhood effects to optimize productivity and manage the happiness of your citizens
- Sail 18 historically authentic ships from the late 16th and 17th centuries
- Engage in tactical, turn-based naval battles with powerful captains
- Unlock licences, building permits, new buildings and ships by growing reputation within your chosen nation